Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Nope, Nope, and Knope


For the most part, I do try to keep the tone and content of these posts positive. Fashion and style should be fun, sometimes frivolous, and really not something to take too seriously. But I'm seeing some trends being propagated lately by otherwise eminently stylish ladies that are just wrong.


Lets start with culottes. Yes, I said culottes. Let me be very clear: these. flatter. NO ONE. A wide-cut pant silhouette that ends anywhere above the ankle makes the wearer look like a wide rectangle. It just gives a very odd proportion to the body. For example, check out Victoria Beckham here. This is a woman who is as renown for her impossibly slim figure as she is for her accomplishments (hi David!). From the waist up in that photo she looks as amazing as ever. And then the culottes happen...
Do NOT let that happen to you! Don't get me wrong, I love a wide-leg pant, but the hem should always kiss the floor. It will elongate you and make you look proportional and chic, especially when worn with a heel.


My other appeal to my fellow Suburbanites is to please, please stay away from overalls. I think I posted a diatribe last year about this, but it sadly remains a problem and so this is my crusade. If you are a grown-woman, then of course you are free to buy and wear whatever you choose. I just think you should know that if you are choosing to wear overalls, you look like an overgrown toddler and everyone you bump into while wearing those overalls thinks you look a little bit crazy. Even if you are wearing $950 Alexander Wang backless overalls. In that case maybe you look like a sexy butcher, but is there really a need for that either?
There. I said it. I feel better now. And I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings but sometimes the truth hurts.


I think we really do need a dose of positivity after my dose of tough love above, so I'm going to let my friend Leslie take it from here and tell you what kind of reaction you will get if I catch you wearing culottes or overalls:

You said it, Leslie Knope.


And now a way to wear wide leg pants in a modern and flattering way...
Nope, Nope, and Knope



1 comment:

  1. Love It! Thank goodness for you! Keep the tips coming! I need all the help I can get. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete